Monday 19 October 2009

Phenobarbital, Batteries and brightly coloured paper.


























The world around may or may not be what we think it is. Who am I to say that the jeans I am wearing are blue? They could be black, but my mind tells me they are blue. The use of cameras and photography is not something that I find ideal nor like to use as reference as it ultimately a mechanical view of what I or anyone else sees. I like to think that the world around me is what I think it is, don't get me wrong. But i cant help but feel honed in and forced to believe this mechanical view that a camera produces, I think the world should be how you make it, and you cant really be told your view is wrong as no one will know what you see. I was told by a teacher in my high school that the world may not be all it seems, that maybe we could all be the dream of a 40 year old woman in a coma, and our actual reality is what we dream at night. At first glance most would seemingly brush this off and dismiss this, "I'm here, i know I am, I see my hands, my legs, I feel the wind on my face." But what if this is all a dream, we're not real, we are actually the figment of someone else's imagination.

"The Matrix is 1999 science fiction film, which describes a future in which a reality perceived by humans is actually the Matrix, created by sentient machines in order to pacify and subdue the human population while their bodies heat and electrical activity are used as an energy source."


Taken from Wikipedia about the 1999 cult film "The Matrix".
Could this be a depiction of our lives? Could we be being used as batteries to power machines? To be honest, I'm not sure if we will find out, unless Neo is real...However the concept is something i think could have some weight to it.
Recently i have been writing down my dreams (or the ones i remember) in hope to produce work from them in some way as dreams never seem to conform with reality, stretching to the realms of far fetched. I have decided to use food colouring as a way of staining cloth or canvas in a round about way making random markings and trying to find patterns or shapes amongst that (much like the train seats i saw). Using the dreams i remember and have written down i will select a colour that fits it best and use it to create my pattens, then afterwards trying to find shapes and objects i may have created. As reference i shall look at post WW2 Abstract Expressionist artists such as Clyfford Still as well as the creation of military camouflage.

xxx<3

Image from:- http://dc-mrg.english.ucsb.edu/WarnerTeach/E192/Images/MATRIX.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment