Saturday 7 November 2009

Cillit Bang, Bicycle chain and Morphological analysis.

In a lecture yesterday, i got introduced to something called Morphological Analysis, which is a problem solving technique which aims to explore all the possible solutions to a problem. We had to do one for the project we had, relating it to what we were doing. This was mine, relating to what surface i would paint on, my medium to paint with and the way to apply the paint - i really this, i think it fits in well with the chance and randomisation aspect of things that im looking at. I think using the method and medium section and finding some way of randomising the combinations is a good way to continue with experimentations with the staining and marking i am doing currently.
When thinking of what medium i could use for the diagram, i thought about stain remover - currently i am staining or marking canvas with paint and other mediums - but what about staining, with the purpose of trying to remove it again? Could be something to look into - this leads me into something i got asked about the other day in a crit - i was asked why i was using paint to stain the canvas - the reason i am using paint is because it is irrelevant almost what medium i use as it isnt about that, its more about colour, the marks being made and the staining - it is also the reason why canvas is not integral to my work as its more about the process and the way the work came about - other than the material or medium used. I think for now, i am going to continue working on a small scale until i figure out what i want to do in terms of process and use of medium. An idea i had was using bicycle chain coated in oil and draping it over canvas to stain it. I also liked the use of manipulative verbs - i feel this is something i can use as well. Using different actions and ways of applying paint/medium in my work.

"My painting does not come from the easel. I prefer to tack the unstretched canvas to the hard wall or the floor. I need the resistance of a hard surface. On the floor I am more at ease. I feel nearer, more part of the painting, since this way I can walk around it, work from the four sides and literally be in the painting."

"I continue to get further away from the usual painter's tools such as easel, palette, brushes, etc. I prefer sticks, trowels, knives and dripping fluid paint or a heavy impasto with sand, broken glass or other foreign matter added."

Quotes from Wikipedia:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Pollock

The way that Jackson Pollock worked is similar to the way ive been working recently - using unstreached canvas on the floor - using sticks, syringes and the simple act of pouring to create my work - i want almost to stray away from the usual painters tools and step into a realm of different means of applying paint.
More of this to come.

xxx<3

1 comment:

  1. good to see you using Morphological analysis..
    hope it helps?

    ReplyDelete